The adventures of a veterinarian with lots of practical advice but no practical experience on raising a puppy.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Darcy and JJ

Hey wait, Darcy is supposed to be MY best friend. I am so torn - as a vet I'm so proud that Darcy is a happy well-adjusted puppy that LOVES everybody but as THE owner I kinda wish she liked me the best! I'm the one putting in the hours here - OK, I'll admit she's being raised by the village but still, she's MY dog. I know - get over it. I'm trying. It would probably drive me nuts if she followed me everywhere, cried when I left the room, wouldn't let anyone else hold her, etc. I'd be embarrassed that my puppy was so dysfunctional and would make up a crazy syndrome about unbalanced hormones or something.

Today, Darcy spent a sunny afternoon playing outside with all the Hard Luck Hounds in our rescue program. I know she has developed such trust in other dogs because of the special bond she has with our lab, JJ. He is 10 and pretty slow but let me tell you she doesn't care. He is her BFF and will sit for hours while she growls, jumps, chews and pulls on and over every part of his body. He glows with love and reminds me of a grandpa watching over his grandkids. He is so patient and they are forging such a sweet, tender relationship that I can honestly say I'm not jealous. Seriously, do you think I'd admit to being jealous of a dog?

I've posted two pictures of them posing together and one of Darcy sleeping in my friends baby carrier. It took her 30 seconds to realize it was warm from the baby and she made herself at home. Luckily my friend is a vet and didn't care one bit!




6 comments:

  1. What cute pictures!!! You're so lucky that Darcy is such a social little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful couple! Social is good, and she'll keep her priorities straight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet boy JJ is! That is so pawsome that Darcy has found a friend in him! I don't even let MY brudder touch me....well...sometimes, but only if no one is looking. pictures of snuggles though. FORGET ABOUT IT!

    Wags and Woofs,
    Mack and Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats adorable. My first Dane Braise was like my shadow, hence the nmae of my blog. I think thees a stage where they do get clingier, however enjoy being able to go to the bathroom wth out an orcestra of whipers outside the door! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so get it! When before I met A in 01, it had just been Twix and I for over 2 years. Now, she could care less if I am around or not as long as Daddy is there. I tell her she is a traitor sometimes. I don't really mean it.....I think!
    Great photos! The first one is my favorite!
    Snuggles,
    Twix and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really adorable pictures. I'm glad you found a new friend. Really pawsome!


    Dog Fence

    ReplyDelete